Group meetings

Zooming in on zines

Ed_zoomAprilmeeting

For the forseeable future unsurprisingly the group will not be meeting together physically because of Coronavirus. But we will meet online for our monthly gathering still. Information about that goes out on the group email list. If you are not on it get in touch.

Last night was the first and nineteen group members showed up. Using zoom technology worked really well. It was great to connect. Fabrizio and Angelika hosted the evening with a wonderful presentation on zines and books. The idea was to spark peoples imagination to have a go at producing one. It was certainly inspiring. 


Group meeting visit to Photographers Gallery

Ealing LIP in biohazard suits at PG

This month due to not being able to use our regular venue we went to visit the Photographers' Gallery on Thursday night despite the rain, train delays and other reasons not to come into central London! We almost had the place to ourselves so it was nice to be able to take some time to look at the work of the four nominees for the Deutsche Börse prize.

We agreed they covered an interesting range of styles and ideas from the traditional documentary work of Mark Neville, the more innovative Mohamed Bourouissa making use of augmented reality, Anton Kuster's powerful and quietly emotional Blue Skies project and an intriguing concept by Clare Strand which had some of us thinking about our next group exhibition (watch this space)!

We did well to find a quiet place nearby to pick out the themes of the show which lead us to a really interesting discussion on women and power in photography, a great topic for a meeting in itself. Looking forward to next month's meeting on zines and putting a book project together. 

[posted by Sean]


Next meeting Thurs 5 March

Please note that the next group meeting is not the usual time and place. This is due to us not being able to book the venue for this month. 

So we are now meeting on Thursday March 5. We had discussed using this month to go to an exhibition and reflect on it. So we will meet at the Photographers Gallery. It is open Thursday evening until 8pm. So try and get there by 6pm if you can, take a look at the two exhibitions and then rendezvous in the cafe. 


2020 vision

EalingLip1

The first meeting of the year was a great start to the year.

[Monika at Pride by Chris Bellinger | Ray by Jonny Baker | Alyssa by Chris Bellinger | Propect Wood by Jonny Baker]

Various members brought favourite photos from 2019. See above for a few examples.

On instagram and twitter there was a popular hashtag #decadechallenge - where people posted a photo of themselves 10 years ago and now. A few members joined in and brought their own decade challenge which was good fun.

Then we also planned out the year ahead. Whilst there may of course be changes this is what it currently looks like

  • January - planning and share photos 
  • February - BEAT ideas, team and planning - Jonny facilitate
  • March - visit exhibition and discuss related theme (exhibition yet to be decided)
  • April - Zine + presentation on putting book project together - Fabrizio facilitate with Angelika
  • May - abstract/impressionist - Chris B and Richard M to facilitate
  • June - urban interventions (and treasure hunt?) - Jonny to facilitate 
  • July - making strange - Arun and Fabrizio to facilitate
  • August - travel - ?facilitator?
  • Sept - BEAT launch/opening
  • Oct - the Corners (book in which layered photos are constructed) - ?facilitator?
  • Nov - show zine (or book) results that we have produced from inspiration in March - ?facilitator?
  • Dec - Christmas meal

We also had some things that were discussed that didn’t land on LIP evenings. These were: 

  • Large format workshop - Robin to organise and host
  • Woodland visit - Jonny to organise and host (round May time?)
  • Instagram takeover - ?needs thought but could tie in with exhibition or a particular hashtag?

aritmia

[photo from Aritmia by Fabrizio Quagliuso]

Fabrizio also brought a copy of Aritmia to show which has been a two year project in the making of a beautiful book. You can read about it and purchase copies on his web site.


We are meeting Jan 8th this month

We usually meet on the first Weds of the month but as it is new year's day we won't be in January. We will meet the following Weds - Jan 8th. Our usual venue is booked so we will be meeting at a group member's home instead. We have emailed all members to let them know but if you are planning to come and did not get that please get in touch via email - see contact email in the sidebar on the right hand side of the page. Hope to see you then! 


Question time

 

 

At our May meeting we invited members to think of questions they had and to put them to the group in the hope that there would be enough shared wisdom to help find some pointers or answers. Questions were wider ranging and it was amazing to see how the group seemed to find some wisdom for pretty much all the questions. As ever we also looked at photos - Dorota shared some ideas for the forthcoming BEAT exhibtion and Jonny shared a mix of recent photos from Barcelona, woodland and bluebells (see above).


Documentary Photography and The Don

donmcullin interview

Continuing our new themed approach to our monthly meetings April's focus was on documentary photography. Members had been encouraged to attend the shows of Don McCullin and Markéta Luskačová at Tate Britain and we had a lively discussion about the past, present and future state of social documentary photography in the light of these photographers' work. Discussion was also had of a future project for the group on this theme and how it could support our BEAT show later in the year.

Edmond Terakopian then gave a talk that he had recently made at the Photography Show in Birmingham marking 30 years as his life as a photojournalist. He took us a on a journey from the discovery of his passion for photography through his award winning work on local and national newspapers to assignments on the conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh and post earthquake life in Armenia. It gave a real insight into his work and the members really enjoyed it. Edmond blogs here and his latest reflection is on Don Mcullin in conversation.

To round off the evening Ray Higginbottom showed some of his excellent documentary prints from his garden allotments project plus recent work from New Orleans.


Perusing photo books

IMG_5442

At the March meeting members brought photo books that they liked. We spent getting on for an hour wandering round looking at and discussing those books. Whilst several regulars were away there were still 17 of us.

D81_7031
D81_7031

Then as ever members showed photos including an amazing selection of work by new member Shaun Hodge and shots from Valencia from Robin Segulem. 

We also discussed BEAT and as I write are now entered to exhibit in September 2019 on the theme of Home.


Sketch of 2019 Ealing LIP Meetings

Following February's meeting we have sketched the plan for the year as follows (backfilling Jan and Feb!). All meeting will of course have space for the sharing of photos as that is at the heart of the group and our practice.

  • January - go to the opening night of Thirteen at Lauderdale House
  • February - plan the year ahead and discuss BEAT exhibition
  • March - bring a photography book or three that you love
  • April - theme ''documentary' - discuss Don Mcullin exhibition at Tate (visit beforehand if possible)
  • May - hive mind/wisdom of the crowd - in advance we will get questions form group members and attempt to answer them from within the group
  • June - desert island snaps - detail to follow (plus on a Sat/Sun a visit to a woodland for a group day meeting)
  • July - theme "portrait" with accompanying challenge
  • August - curation - with guest speaker tba
  • September - opening night of BEAT exhibition
  • October - photo book - bring a photo book you have made
  • November - theme "street" 
  • December - Christmas meal

The idea for the year ahead is that members of the group will take on chairing/facilitating an evening which will mean pulling it together, leading the evening and managing any related challenge and sharing of photographs. This is not set in stone and may change but it gives a feel for where we are headed and hopefully enables some planning ahead.


the memory of trees

 

 

February's meeting saw a couple of new people join. The deadline for entering BEAT 2019 is 19th March so that was a big focus along with planning the year ahead (see the post above).

The meetings now being on Wednesday mean that Ray Higginbottom will be back joining us from time to time. He is now editor of one of the RPS magazines for the visual art group and the first one he has done arrived the day before so he was able to show us that and it looked great! And we enjoyed looking at some of the latest photos he has been working on which include a new exploration 'the memory of trees' (an Enya album title inspired theme!). Here's a couple of the first photos above...